Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Every dog must have his day."

Or, with apologies to Jonathan Swift, HER day.

Hey, I heard it's your birthday.

Today, December 16th, is Maddie Jo's 10th birthday. Yesterday, December 15th, was Gracie's 10th birthday.  The girls refuse to share anything, so we didn't think they should have to share a birthday party.  We had birthday celebrations both evenings, complete with singing, dancing, games and pupcakes.
Gracie enjoying her cake

       
Do I smell cake?


Maddie making a wish

I made frosted carrot cupcakes for Gracie's birthday, but I got to thinking that there must be a recipe for something dog-friendlier with less sugar and fat.  I found two recipes I liked and combined them.  One was from Liz Palika's book, The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook, for Christmas Cranberry Corn Muffins. This recipe called for mixing ground up dry dog food with Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and cranberries.  It seemed the Jiffy mix had a lot of sugar and I didn't want to put dog food in the treats (you never know who might eat one). I found a flour and banana based recipe for Banana Pupcakes on an Internet site called The Poop Pantry (http://www.thepoop.com/pooppantry/bananapupcakes.asp).  Here is the recipe I concocted: 

 Maddie Jo's Cranana Pupcakes

3 bananas
1 C fresh cranberries
2 C generic corn bread mix
1 1/2 C wheat flour
1/2 C milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a blender or food processor to chop, mush and blend the cranberries and bananas together. In a separate bowl mix corn bread mix and wheat flour.  Add milk and egg. Fold in cranberry-banana mixture.  Pour batter into a muffin pan lined with paper baking cups. Bake for 20 minutes.
Since no one seems to want this last pupcake. . .


Cranberries can be bitter, but the bananas made the pupcakes slightly sweet and the dogs loved them.  I didn't frost them and I tried not to let the dogs eat the paper, but they think the paper is the best part.



Happy Birthday Gracie and Maddie Jo!


Hey, don't forget me!

Of course not.  We would like to send a BIG Happy Birthday greeting to cousin Hallie in Seattle, Washington.  Hallie turned 8 years old today - she's just a youngster.






No comments:

Post a Comment