Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baby its Cold Outside



Maddie Jo, what do you say? - Baby its cold outside
But, it's time to play - Baby it's cold outside
You'll be okay - Baby its cold outside

You simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
The answer is no? - Ooh baby, it's cold outside

Don't be an old goat - Oh, baby, I'll freeze out there
No, I've got your coat - It's up to my knees out there

Let's go, toot sweet - Then may I have a treat?
You've got me beat - Brr, it's cold outside



This morning our thermometer read -10 degrees, but the weather service and the thermometer in Pete's car reported -16 degrees.  Ten below, sixteen below, whatever, it was cold enough that the dogs just stuck their noses out the front door, turned around and headed right back to bed.  After dressing them up in their snow jackets and bribing them with Milk Bones I coaxed them outside. If you blinked you would have missed them - they did their business and ran back inside before I could zip up my jacket.

If you look on the upperish right side of the blog you will see a new little weather gadget I added.  It will tell you Mercer's current temperature.

Later in the day the sun came out and it warmed up enough for the dogs to enjoy a walk and some play.

Asher  Ready for Play

Maddie Jo in her Hudson Bay Jacket

Gracie in the Snow
I've been on a number of Internet sites looking for information and tips on winter dog care.  I've learned a few things:

  1. Breeds, like the Weimaraner, with short hair should wear coats. (CHECK)
  2. Paws need to be protected from getting ice balls.  Booties will work, if the dog will wear them, otherwise olive oil is supposed to do the trick. (Have the olive oil, will try)
  3. Neither salt, nor traditional deicers, should be used around the dogs as they irritate the skin and dogs may become ill if they try to lick their feet.  I've hear a lot about Safe Paw, a pet-friendly ice melter, but I would like to do a little more research.  We are using kitty litter now as traction is more of a concern than melting the ice. (No Salt -CHECK)
  4. As far as refusing to go outside, one behaviorist recommending back up to the early days of house training by putting the dog on a schedule and sticking to it.  In some cases, the dog may have to go back to crate training.  Crates are not an option for us, but I'm going to try the schedule idea. (WILL DO)
  5. Watch the dog's weight.  There is a tendency to think that dogs may need more food in the winter. We thought the dogs should put on a little weight to keep them warmer.  Well, if the dogs aren't exercising as much they may not need more food. I've noticed our little couch potatoes are fine with about the same amount of food as they had during the summer. (CHECK)
Any information or hints you have about winter dog care would be  appreciated.

Here are a few more photos I took this morning.

A thin layer of ice coated all the trees

A real icicle next to the icicle lights




No comments:

Post a Comment