Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dig In



Gracie and Asher
Last weekend I looked out and saw for the first time in five months there wasn't any snow covering my raised beds. It was time to start the garden.

You can see the soil

Where?













I made a quick trip to one of my favorite local nurseries with a gift certificate from Joe and Gwen in my hands.

Stoney Creek in Minocqua

A slim selection.










I stocked up on radishes, carrots and spinach.  Most guides say you can plant these seeds around April 15th, even in northern Wisconsin. I was a week early, but I decided to chance it.


Radishes will be ready well before carrots. I planted the two together, in the same rows. The radishes will come up first. I can thin them and see how straight my rows are without worrying about the carrots. The carrots will start appearing a quite a bit later, so the radishes won't interfere with them.



I picked varieties of radishes and carrots that grow well in the North. The carrots I planted include Royal Chantenay, Little Finger, Scarlet Nantes and Red Cored Chanteney. I planted Early Scarlet Globe, Sparkler, Cherry Belle and French Breakfast (Mr. French is not sure he approves) radish varieties.





Carrot and Radish Bed
I was a little worried about birds scratching up the seeds, so I tried to bird-proof the beds.

The Clothes Line
Criss - Cross

Finished with
miniature chimes














This functional, decorative feature may keep the birds out, but it doesn't really work if you want to keep out the dogs.

Where are the carrots?
The weekend was great and we were thankful that Spring had finally arrived.

Pete made syrup

Mr. French came out to help.












Asher enjoyed the mild wind
on his face.



Gracie is more of an
Earth dog and
enjoys mud on her
face.

















Evidently, this was just a taste of spring - a teaser.  When we woke up this morning I looked out to see my beds covered with a thin layer of snow.
Raised Beds on April 16th





I thought you said it was Spring Time.

We have a spring in our step.




The radio is reporting a Winter Weather Watch. I'm watching now and snowflakes are falling.


No comments:

Post a Comment