Sunday, March 27, 2011

Worms Invade Mercer






Pete and I celebrated our birthdays and anniversary the other day.  Thanks to all who remembered us with kind birthday wishes, cards and gifts.







photo: www.carolbrendler.com
Speaking of gifts, my sister, Karen, sent me a box of 1000 live worms. Some people might be offended if they received such a gift, but I was delighted. A worm farm and red worms were on my gift list. I have a dream of becoming the most famous worm farmer in the Northwoods. More famous than Winnie the Worm Farmer.



I was delighted, but Jim, the Mercer Postmaster, was less enthusiastic. When Pete picked up the package from the post office he found the box was not sealed well.





Hundreds of worms had escaped in the postal truck and more made a break for it in the post office building.





Pete brought the remaining red worms home and put them in a little bucket. As soon as he turned his back the worms were on the move - WORM BREAK!








He managed, with the help of the dogs, to capture the fugitive worms and return them to their bucket. This time he put the lid on after making a few slits for air.


All was well for awhile, then - WORM BREAK!


The worms were able to climb out under the lid and make their way across the counter. The runaways were recaptured, placed back in the bucket, covered with a paper towel, then lidded. In the meantime, UPS delivered a large box.




When I got home I found the box contained a worm farm, also from Karen. After skeptically listening to Pete's tale of our Houdini-like worms I decided we better put the gift together.

I was concerned that the worms weren't getting enough air in their bucket, so I removed the lid and paper towel while we constructed the farm. You guessed it - WORM BREAK!


We rushed to prepare the farm for the worms and finally their secure new home was ready. We moved them out of their cramped bucket to the farm under Asher's supervision.


I waited to see if they would escape, but they seem to be happy enough to stay down on the farm.


Those worms better
stay away from the cake!




Asher kept a careful watch on the farm that evening. Has he turned into a shepherd -  keeping a watchful eye on the herd? A worm dog? Or was he more concerned about the leftover birthday cake?


I better check to see
if any got to it.














Pete wrote the company to let them know what happened. They are sending us 1000 more worms. Watch out Mercer Post Office for . . .

The Return of the Worms!

photo: fotolog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment