Saturday, March 12, 2011

Weimaraner in the WInter Woods



We were beginning to think spring was around the corner, but I've seen enough April snowstorms in Wisconsin to know better. Sure enough, this morning we woke up to see the woods blanketed in snow. Asher and I went out for an early morning walk.  He was so excited.


It looks like we got about 3 inches, but it's still coming down. The snow is heavy and it's sticking to the trees, making for some beautiful scenes.






The driveway
"Are the squirrels going
to come out?"
"Guess not. Let's go home
and have pizza for
breakfast."

Pizza Pete

Last night Pete made pizza from scratch. This is always a popular dish around our house.
Three dogs want pizza.
The homemade sauce was really rich, the dough was great and the toppings were perfect.  The dogs wouldn't let it out of their site.
By the way, pizza is one of those odd words that I think is uncountable. A noun can be countable or uncountable. Countable nouns have a singular and plural form (chair and dog).


"How many pizzas
did you make?"
Uncountable nouns cannot be counted; they are not separate objects. You cannot make them plural by adding -s, because they only have a singular form (water, coffee, rice). I contend that cheese, fruit and pizza are uncountable nouns, but this idea is not supported by very many people I talk to. To me it sounds odd to use cheeses, pizzas or fruits in a sentence. I think I should say “types of cheese”, “three pizza pies” and “kinds of fruit.”


Well, I'm not sure if I'm correct or not. I can't find a definitive answer of the Internet. I do know that deer should not have an "s" at the end. This is one of two groups of deer we see almost every evening right outside of our window.

A group of deer enjoying
snack time at Payment Lake.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That pizza looked great. Would Pete be willing to share that recipe?
    My husband and I, along with our golden retriever, Chester, spend time in the northwoods in the St. Germain area, and we're somewhat familiar with the Mercer area too. It's just beautiful up there and it's our dream to some day live there too.
    We love hearing about your experiences!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete