Saturday, May 7, 2011

May Day


Mercer in Bloom

Saturday, May 1st was town clean-up day in Mercer. The Lions and Lionesses were picking up along the roadsides, the Chamber of Commerce grounds and gardens were spruced up by volunteers and the Woods and Blooms Garden Club tackled the Century-Pines Park. We were delighted to be welcomed by a blooming daffodil plant.


It was chilly and very windy, but at least we didn't have snow. I am convinced that the reason we had such a long winter was that I didn't pack away our snowflake coffee mugs. So, I spent the first weekend of May packing up everything that may be considered winter-wear, including the snowflake coffee mugs.





I am so sick of my L.L. Bean flannel night shirt - I never want to see it again. I packed up all my winter clothes, socks and jackets. I packed up the winter quilts and all the dogs' winter jackets, neck warmers and booties. Then I took out all of our springs things. Spring won't come if she doesn't know she's welcome.




The dogs started looking for signs of spring and found a few.

Gracie enjoys not
having to wear a
jacket

"I think I see a fish."
















"Wait, I hear something."

Mr. French on patrol













Loons!
Yup, the loons are back along with the otters, eagles, mallards and a lot of nighttime noises in the woods. There's a lot of nature up here now that winter is packed away. Cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment