Monday, January 17, 2011

RealFeel = Go Back to Bed Cold



I knew it was cold outside this morning when I opened the door for Gracie. She did the quickest U-turn I have ever seen and went right back to bed. Asher was braver, but his usual 15 minute morning romp turned into a 45 second trip out to the pee patch and back.




The thermometer read 16 degrees, but it felt a lot colder. I looked at the birds huddled around the bird feeders and the snow flurries blowing sideways and determined it must be the wind chill.

I went to the Internet to see what the wind chill was and encountered a term I was unfamiliar with - RealFeel temperature. I guess the term has been around for a long time, but I never noticed it, or perhaps I just translated it into wind chill in my mind. The AccuWeather forecast reported the temperature
to be 14, but the RealFeel was 4.

www.accuweather.com

My understanding of the trademarked phrase was not accurate. According to the AccuWeather site wind chill only takes temperature and wind speed into account, but the RealFeel measurement takes temperature, wind speed, solar intensity, humidity, precipitation, elevation and atmospheric pressure into account. Obviously, this formula, which is not disclosed on the site, magically calculates a temperature reading which is far more accurate than the old wind chill factor I used to talk about in my youth.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to add the RealFeel to the little weather widget on the blog, so in the meantime you'll have to go to http://www.accuweather.com/us/wi/mercer/54547/city-weather-forecast.asp





Gracie in her snow suit

It looks like it is going to get a little nicer out later, so I'll see if Gracie will go out and play.

"Right now, it feels like 4 degrees, so let's go back to bed!"
Maddie Jo




No comments:

Post a Comment