Friday, April 24, 2015

Special Events - Don't Say No

A Loon's Spoon Posting

It's only hard to attend special events if you make it hard - true if you're vegan or any number of other things that might make you self-conscious or different from the "average" attendee.  My thinking is that people are more worried about their own differences than mine.  


Last night Pete and I attended the 8th Annual Taste of the North in Minocqua.  This is a fabulous food sampling event that showcased about 22 different food and dining establishments in the area with 31 different items.  

The dishes included breakfast, appetizer, entree, pizza, cafe and dessert items, but not a one of them was animal-product-free. No problem; I anticipated as much and had a BIG lunch.  For me it was a time to enjoy the company, catch up with folks I hadn't seen for months and sip a few NAs.





People ask what do I do at special occasions that don't have vegan options.  I don't do anything - I don't eat, I don't complain and I don't turn into the vegetarian/vegan that no one wants to talk to.


The Taste of the North is easy; it's a walk and talk, grazing, come and go as you please type of affair.  A couple people asked me what I had to eat and I told them nothing as I had adopted a plant-based diet, but how great it was to see everyone. No muss, no fuss. 

A few folks tried to figure out if there was something I could eat and honestly, that was a great educational opportunity.  "Yes, eggs are an animal product." "No, I don't eat cheese anymore either." "Desserts? Dairy."  It's all about keeping a sense of humor and not attacking the eating habits of others.


 Vegans/Vegetarians should not isolate themselves.  Become comfortable with your decision and plan for social events ahead of time for your own comfort and those around you.  Sarah Hohn has a nice article on her blog, Homemade Levity titled Overcoming Isolation as a Vegan - good tips.



Pete, the meat-eater, and I had a wonderful time.  We left before the raffle drawings and I think someone must have forgotten to call us about our prize!


No comments:

Post a Comment