Monday, August 8, 2011

Skunked!




Asher, Maddie Jo and I went for an early walk yesterday. Asher took off to explore while Maddie and I relaxed on the dock at Net Lake. Our peaceful morning was interupted by a burst of excited barking. Asher was about a hundred yards into the woods; his barking grew more intense with some growling as we approached.
I smelled it before I saw it. Asher was running circles around a medium sized skunk who was doing his best to keep his tail end pointed at the dog.
Asher was too frustrated to come to me, so I went after him and tried to stay out of the line of fire. We were both running circles around the skunk while Maddie Jo grazed the forest floor and completely ignored us. Finally, the skunk ran between my legs and stopped. I took the opportunity to grab Asher as he lunged at the animal and then carefully considered how to extricate myself. I think the skunk knew that I had Asher under control; after a bit he just waddled out from under me and on his way.

We walked back home and my eyes and nose were burning. Asher had been skunked by the skunk, and I had been skunked by Asher been I grabbed him and tried to get the leash on him.

How do you de-skunk a smelly Weimarner? First we tried a combination recommended on the Internet of hydrogen peroxide, liquid soap and baking soda.

Sudsy Asher





Beth between bathings
After two rounds of sponging, sudsing, rinsing and drying Asher still smelled like Pepe Le Pew and I was soaked.













Asher waiting for
his shower.


Dr. Bronner's Soap -
no magic today.
So, then we decided to try Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap.  This soap can do amazing things, but after our shower Asher smelled like a skunk dipped in mint.









The next step? A call to our neighbors, Dan and Jean. Their suggestion was a twist on the old tomato juice remedy - no, not bloody marys, but tomato paste and water.  Back to the shower to paint the dog red.

Another remedy.
Back to the shower.


Will this work?
Was the smell going away or were we getting used to it? He was pungent enough to spend the rest of the day outside.

Banished outside



"I don't smell that bad,
do I?"




"Oh yes you do!
We're staying down here."

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. I hope you are both smelling better.

    ReplyDelete